Logo

Loose Stearing 2005 75 hp

Lunker Larry

I have a 2005 75hp Yamaha on a 16 ft Lund. Ever since I've had it the steering has been loose. The steering will not remain straight as it will turn when idling and the motor will fall to the side when trimmed up.
I have went over everything high and low but cannot find any adjustment. They are all Yammy gauges and steering.
Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a fix or any suggestions?
Appreciate your time on this.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Larry,
You may be suffering from torque steer with such a big engine on a relativly short boat. You could try adjusting the trim tab fitted on the underside of the cavitation plate. This acts like a small rudder and can help correct the steering. Cheers:rolleyes:

Hi Larry,
You may be suffering from torque steer with such a big engine on a relativly short boat. You could try adjusting the trim tab fitted on the underside of the cavitation plate. This acts like a small rudder and can help correct the steering. Cheers:rolleyes:

Thanks Bryan but that's not the problem. It's just "loose". It is torque steer when it is idling but it shouldn't turn when sitting still, it also just falls over when trimmed up.

Back