Logo

Yamaha 1990 250 hp issues

BPSTrout

OK, I got ripped. I blew the powerhead on a 1994 Yamaha Saltwater Series II 225 and took it to a repair place I did not know much about. They called and said "lucky" me, they had an identical 250 they would sell and install. I paid them the CASH and they put the motor on. Took it offshore and the oil warning came on, RPM went down, and I crippled back to the dock. Determined that the motor was not pulling oil from the external oil tank to the one mounted on the powerhead. Did some checking and discovered (through serial numbers) that the motor they put on was actually at 1990 and found out from a friend that the wiring harness would not match up, thus causing the problem. The motor runs fine, the guy has skipped. Anyone know a way around the wiring harness issue? Is there a part I can buy, or bypass the tank all together and go with a mix?

My boat is wired for a 1994 225 Saltwater II TXRS. The motor the guy put on was a 1990 250 EXTD. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Back