Logo

New Yamaha 80 hp Owner needing advice on fuel system

BryanR

I am new owner, by inheritance, of my father's boat. It has an 80 hp Yamaha outboard on the back, and i am trying to get it running good again. The water system is foreign to me and I could use some basic advice. I got the engine started up after first adding stabilizer to the fuel was in there (sat for maybe 6 months), and then i added another 5 gallons of fresh gas. When it ran i had the cover off and i noticed water coming out of small jest on the carburetor, just to the right of the control rod (i think that is the name of the rod). That water smelled like gas, so i think it is mixed. Is this normal? Will it clean itself out in time, or do I need to be concerned here? The engine was kept covered and looks in great shape, with no rust or damage. I am going to do the recommended maintenance from the Yamaha manual this weekend, but it says nothing on this water issue. I am attaching two photos that show the carb part number and the jets. There are three jest/hole openings shown in the picture between the rod in the middle and the black vent on the right. They face out. This is where the water comes out.Yamaha Carb .jpgYamaha Carb Part ID.jpg Any advice is most welcome.

If any water is coming out of the carb do not run the engine any further. I would actually spray some fog oil in the carbs while cranking it over. Call a mechanic. Sounds like the carbs are fouled and need to be serviced. Also sounds like there is water in the fuel.

Back