Logo

1999 DT25C and cracked propeller shaft housing

Smpsn

I noticed the propeller shaft housing on my DT25C is cracked around both bolt holes. Is this a job for the do it yourselfer or is it better left for the professionals to replace? I can get the parts I need for around $140 shipped. Also am I going to have to buy special tools? I read in one forum a puller is needed to remove the housing and in another forum you dont need one. I would rather not have to buy a bunch of special tools I'll never use again.

Thanks for the help!

If there was water in there that froze, then I would inspect internals first.------------Should be easy to take that apart.

Here's the cracks,
6db36a2d.jpg

f86b0fcf.jpg

32d59781.jpg

a7bf0428.jpg

I'm not ruling out ice but the boat has been garage kept all winter. I think I'm going to try the repair myself, the worst thing that can happen is Ill have to take a box of parts to the mechanic .

It looks like it should almost drop off, from the picture (without a puller). Possibly, a couple of big screwdrivers inserted in the gaps on either side of the housing a gentle, gentle twist. You do not want to mess up the case. So if you have to get too aggressive, get the puller.

Mike

My DT25 just did the same thing only worse. The bolt snapped off along with the mounting hole from the lower unit. It was difinately ice damage.

The repair was really easy. 30 minutes tops and it was put back together.
I'm sure it was ice damage. I pulled the plug to drain it an there was no oil just water!
All parts looked factory fresh too! I can't believe how lucky I am. Every boat I have ever had
I always changed the lower unit oil in the fall when I put it in storage. This time I didn't..lesson
Learned.

Glad yours is now good.
I had the same sort of thing with 80hp mariner, but i wasnt so lucky.
mine split the case along the side, 7 inch gash, but got it ally welded and needed all new seals.
like you i normaly check before winter that everything is full of oil.

Ice is so powerfull,it can crack anything,including 7 litre chevy blocks !!!!!!!!!!

phill

Back