Logo

new tank install, one more time

paperclip68

Installing new fuel tank system Moeller parts, with new fuel tank (heavy plastic type), filler cap, fuel line and vent line. Question is new tank system does not have metal ring around fuel fill hose, is the negative connection for the fuel gauge sending unit adequate grounding for the fuel tank? Since the new filler cap is metal I need to run a ground wire, what is the best site to connect a grounding wire for the filler cap? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

You can run the deck plate ground to the bonding system (preferred) or the engine block.

I don't believe you need a ground wire to the tank as there's no way for the electrons to move thru the plastic. You can always check with Moeller and get their recommendations.

I don't believe you need a ground wire to the tank as there's no way for the electrons to move thru the plastic. You can always check with Moeller and get their recommendations.

Ayuh,... Even Plastic tanks need to be Bonded...
They build static electricity, 'n can still go BOOM, like metal tanks...
Forgive my lack of knowledge, what is bonding system?
Bonding is basically a redundant ground, except it doesn't conduct electricity, Normally...
The fuel gauge sender should be Grounded to the electrical system as always,...
But,...
The Bonding should go Only to the motor's Block, or the drive, or outboard motor, or to a hull mounted Bonding Plate...

the sending unit has the negative and postive connection of course, the sending unit has one small screw that does not hold in the sending unit. would this be acceptable grounding wire for the fuel tank? a hull mounted bonding plate? the transom tied down bolt has a metal plate on the inside of the hull would this be acceptable grounding location for both the fuel tank and the filler tube grounding. of course one on each side? all the help that you have provided has been greatly appreciated. thanks

Bondo is 110% correct and his statement of "redundant ground" is perfect in that a bonding circuit is not a current carrying path. Circuit grounds are in addition to the bonding circuit. The fuel level sensor should have a bonding screw on it or a spot on the mounting flange that a screw penetrates. Bond it to a screw that fastens to the plastic tank and then fasten that to a bolt / bonding point on the engine. The trick here is to put everything to the "same electrical potential" to avoid any static discharges / differences in potential and eliminate any sparks in the event these components become connected together in some fashion. If you take an ohm meter and connect either lead between any 2 major components, there should be less than 1 (one) ohm resistance between any 2 components at thier bonding point (of course you will get a higher than 1 ohm reading if you put 1 lead of the meter to plastic of tank). Bonding is your friend, especially where fuel and / or corrosive conditions are concerned.

Last edited:
Back