Logo

Kicker motor issues

sheamc

Last year my brother purchased an 8hp yamaha 2-stroke for my boat. After finding that it runs rough I took it to my mechanic, apparently the exhaust is rusted out and the water pump is bad. Apparently it has probably been in salt water and never flushed. Is it worth anything in parts. It tested for great compression and the carb was good. Now, I have the opportunity to look at a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke that the mechanic got in on a trade. Great compression, great oil pressure, only used in fresh water, but one major issue, it leaks oil. The top of the sump (as described to me) has a crack and occasionally it weeps out. The oil level never went low, but the owner wanted a new motor. Is this motor worth acquiring and fixing. Getting the aluminum welded is not an issue, but what do I need to look for when I go put eyes on it?

Thanks,
Shea

Actually, this boat shop has worked on every boat/motor I have ever owned and been reasonable on price and great on the work. The problem with the two stroke isn't that it can't be fixed, it happens that their hours involved would cause the overall cost to be more than the motor is worth due to some of the stainless fasteners being seized up. As for the 9.9 4-stroke, don't know what I am looking at, it is not the newest version, and they only mentioned it when I saw them at a Boat/Rv show. I need to know more details about the Yamahas. This one has a long shaft, electric start and is set up for remote steering. Hopefully will get up there to look at it today or tomorrow.

Thanks,
Shea

Back