Logo

power problems

golfcuff

2005 225 four stroke YAMA/MERC
I am having an electrical issue with my vessel. When the ignition switch is turned, the engine has no power. When it does turn on and the tilt button is pushed on the throttle, the engine turns off. My vessel is equipped with two new large battries with good readings. I am not sure if the electrical issue is in the throttle or igintion switch. BTW, the power switches are properly wired... Also, the engine turns on at times, this is when the tilt kills the power...

Also, the trim works on the engine, whether the iginition has power or not. The rest of my electrical items, radio, GPS, also have no failure..

Thanks....

It is likely your neutral safety switch is loose, has a loose wire, or is out of adjustment. Lower your engine, remove cowling and check where the throttle cable connects to the throttle arm on the right forward side of your engine. I don't have my shop manual with me, but there is a specific procedure for checking it if the problem is not obvious. If you push in the switch by hand, or shunt it across the terminals, and the engine starts up, that is likely your problem.

Also, check that you kill switch is operating correctly. Occasionally, mine gets some salt water corrosion, and I douse it with some WD-40 and work it in and out a bunch of times To fully test the kill switch, shunt the wires across the two terminals, which basically bypasses the switch. If that cures the problem, fix or replace the switch.

Also, recommend you post this on the Honda forum. There are several very experienced Honda tech's on that forum that can help you better than I can.

Back