Logo

MD2B Manifold corroded - need a replacement but where?

Rizingtide

Have worked hard on an water-in-oil and water-in-piston problem on the 30 year old MD2B and took the manifold in for welding up and to then mill the face to get a better seal. The welder couldn't do much as in one part there was nothing to weld to but corrosion.
So it's a replacement needed for sure... anyone with ideas on where to source one second-hand or would it be best to go new which are incredibly expensive?

If not mistaken you should be able to use MD11 outlet, here:
http://www.marinepart***press.com/vp_sch_fs.html

(you have to manually write marineparts express.com in ONE word. The board believes it is something else!:):))

Part Number: 833998
Description: EXHAUST PIPE ELBOW (Volvo Penta)
Price: $ 267.59
Retail Price: $ 287.73
Weight: 4.54

If not, another source in Europe:
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7742090-26-13762.aspx

but a bit more pricy:

Exhaust pipe elbow 859162 1 454,59 EUR

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the fast response... I go a call from Volvo Australia in Perth, they could ship one in (it comes in a kit now) but it's $1600AU, and it would mean we were putting that onto 40 year-old heads, pistons etc. So we have to weigh up the pros and cons of a new engine (the biggest con is the rice of course). Thanks again. And we gather that second hand ones would be most likely severley corroded as well unless we were really lucky.

Thanks once again. Yes, I reckon a replacement would be needed, but we have to weigh up whether $1600 (plus about $600 already spent on the heads) is worth spending when a new engine is around $8000. if we bought a new manifold it will be attached to a very old engine! Decisions, decisions.

For much can you sell the 'remains'?
If planning to keep the boat for another 5 years, my guess a replacement will be a cheaper solution.
If planning to repair and then sell the boat, cut 1500 off selling price (without changing manifold) and you at least stop bleeding.

Power Products in MA ships internationally, Aaron and Josh have been helpful to me in the past. Last time i bought parts from them they gave me a keychain too...

The thing may cost an arm a leg to ship, but they sell parts pretty cheap, may even be worth calling them to see if they'll give u a better discount.

good luck!

Found their phone number

781-246-1811

Back