Logo

When should I replace or rebuild?

Justin3085

I have a 1985 Silverton with twin Crusaders. Engines were rebuilt in 2002 and the hour meter reads 1250.

All season they ran good with a few issues here and there I was able to correct with new plugs, wires, belts etc. Normal maintenance.

They engines don't sync real well as the port engine has to have more throttle than the starboard to get into sync. This just tears through fuel in my port tank. I am having the carbs rebuilt this spring in hopes that may solve the problem.

My overall question is when should I SERIOUSLY consider replacing or rebuilding the entire engines?

My overall question is when should I SERIOUSLY consider replacing or rebuilding the entire engines?

Ayuh,... After you run a Compression Test to see the general health of 'em...

I'd think you've got atleast that many hours left in 'em.... Maybe twice what they're showing now...

Check your ignition TA on the Port engine. Make sure that both engines are reaching the prescribed ignition curve and TA (total advance). This can make a tremendous difference.
Also, with twins, you could swap carburetors to the tune of two new gaskets only. Pretty inexpensive way to test.

As for over-hauling..... you are in NJ, and very likely running in Salt Water.
Are these Raw Water cooled? If so, don't even give this one thought!
You are just too dam close to the cost of a pair of automotive cores that have only seen Ethylene Glycol in the cooling systems.

You will also have an oportunity to get away from the stupid, silly, full dished piston if you were to have a pair custom built. More on that if interested!

Food for thought!

Back