Logo

F100 fell out of gear and revved up!

alpiker21

,Was cruising the boat on the plain around 30mph then I slowed down and then slowly opened the throttle again to go back on plain, half way up to plain she just fell out of gear and revved up. Tried to put her in reverse and nothing, tried forward nothing? She was just making a ticking sound. This doesn't sound good. I was thinking what could of happened? She was running lovely before hand , no noises or nothing? Was thinking it could be the clutch dog? What do you think?

Check the prop first----------If that is OK then drop the lower unit to inspect splines on end of driveshaft.----------------If that is good then take lower unit apart.

unhook the cable and try shifting by hand
the only time i have seen a stripped spline shaft is when i worked on off shore race boats

Ok, guy's, took lower unit off today. Splines on end of drive shaft good. Put it in forward gear and rotated drive shaft by hand and felt it hoping over teeth, tried the reverse same hoping over teeth. So that's pinion gear gone, and probably mashed the forward and reverse gear too. It never rains but pours lol

maybe
you need to open it up

try shifting it with a pair of pliers on the shift shaft
reverse will lock up both directions foreword will ratchet when spun backwards

Need to look inside next, going to make a tool to un-screw end rings. Could you advise me on dismantling procedure, and any tips , or things to look out for,

Thanks in advance

I was out on Thursday last week and we were cruising across the lake WOT and all of a sudden it sounded like the motor went into neutral and the motor revved up. I cut the throttle to idle position and took off again then ran fine back to the landing. The next day I went out and trolled around for a while then tried to take off to a different part of the lake, at about 40% the same thing happened, shut it down tried again with the same results. This is the closest post I have seen to my issue however, reverse and up to 40% motor runs fine, above that engine revs but there is no go power. In the garage I can put the engine in reverse and manually turn the prop both ways and sounds like there is compression happening in the engine so the drive works fine, in forward there is compression turning the prop in the incorrect direction, and easy turning clicking sound going the direction the prop is supposed to be going. Any thoughts or processes would be appreciated very much

Thanks for your reply, I haven't tore anything apart yet and spent hours last night scouring youtube over different outboard vids to see how the whole process works. I feared I ran the lower unit too low on lube, but hopefully I am wrong. The only lessons I learn are done so the hard way, so either way this issue will result in checking the lower unit oil more often. Plan on checking it out in the morning.

Back