Logo

Outboard help.. Suzuki 65HP

Aidanburridge

Hi,
I’m fairly new to boating and outboards so have a few questions. My friend has just bought a Phantom16 with a Suzuki 65hp engine. The engine is blue with a white cowel as standard an hasn’t been started this season. We are having trouble starting the engine, its turns over but doesn’t seem to be firing. I’m intending to:
Clean the carb and intake
Flush the old fuel out and use new
Check the fuel filter
Check the spark plugs, maybe replace
If there is anything else I should to try and start the engine please help. Have I forgotten anything? I don’t know much about engine timings or compression checks. Could it be the timing? Do I need to check compression?
All help is much appreciated 

Cheers, Aidan

first check for spark on spark plugs
the compression
if you got those spark 2 stroke oil mix gas down carbs and see if it fires

Cheers for that. We got it started last night, was running well but kept rcutting out. Think we just need to fluish all the oil 2stroke oil out of the system.

Its sprking fine, think the pump just wasnt doing its job well enough to get fuel through, may have to be cleaned if it keeps stalling.

Ended up using break cleaner to start it up (v.flammable) should be running sweet once given a proper run.

After finding the carbs dry we took apart the pump to find the cam arm missing.. should be running sweet once its fixed :) is running well when pumped by hand

Cheers matee

Back