Logo

2003 Yamaha 50 TRLC- no fuel

Fish for Fun

My 50TRLC 2 stroke ran well when put away last Oct.. Turns over rapidly, has spark at plugs, fuel has Stabil. Bulb does not seem to be sending enough fuel to carbs. When I disconnected fuel line at engine filter it would not pump through with bulb at first but finally did; I reconnected filter, pumped again still would not fire. It is not getting fuel to cylinders. It is not flooded and plugs are good. Will fire with a SMALL burst of ether instantly. Fuel/water separator filter is new and fuel there was clean. Is this a fuel pump problem? And if so where is pump located? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
When you prime the socalled " bulb " fuel should go right thru the fuel pump.----------------------Fuel pumps are often blamed for " no start condition " and often replaced needlessly.----------------Check the choke / enricher setup on the motor.-----------------Will it keep running after it fires on ether ??

clean the carburetors !----------Floats appear to be stuck.------------Always run fuel out of carburetors when done boating.

Racerone, thanks again. I cleaned the carbs and they were gunky; definitely needed that. Still could not prime them, however. So with an electric fuel pump and systematic search , I was able to determine the restriction in the flow of gas. Turns out (I have a Key West small center console) that the culprit was a stuck in-line check valve coming out of the fuel tank. More gunk. Removal of the valve will be difficut. It's below floor level, aluminum and stuck to the alum. thru-tank fitting. Very large nuts; very restricted access through 6" access plate and into a poly tank. I'll get it though, somehow. Thanks again for your help, the carbs would have been a problem even if it had started.

that model has a primer valve, actually i think 2 of them
if your running ring free and marine stabilizer no need to run the gas out of carbs
in every factory manual it states do not run the gas out of carbs

if you run the fuel out, you run the risk of running lean, damages the needle while trailering, changes the float height while trailering
i have seen this happen, because the lowest carb gets all the gas, while the top cylinder has none
if you plan on Draining the carbs, do it the right way

i have seen more problems with running the gas out, then keeping gas in the carbs with stabilizer

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL FOR STORAGE PROCEDURES

im certified in these motors for over 10 years, not one time did factory training say run the gas out of any motor

straight out of the factory manual

1. Portable Fuel Tank – Pour the required amount of Quicksilver Gasoline Stabilizer (follow
instructions on container) into fuel tank. Tip fuel tank back and forth to mix stabilizer with
the fuel.
2. Permanently Installed Fuel Tank – Pour the required amount of Quicksilver Gasoline
Stabilizer (follow instructions on container) into a separate container and mix with approximately
one quart (one liter) of gasoline. Pour this mixture into fuel tank.
3. Place the outboard in water or connect flushing attachment for circulating cooling water.
Run the engine for ten minutes to allow treated fuel to fill the fuel system.

Try " google " for instructions on YAMAHA--------------------The factory instruction say drain the fuel from carburetors.-----------------Giving this advice to people for 40 years and will never change my mind.

you might want to read it, thats the year we r talking about

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2003/lit-18626-04-92_417.pdf

it states run the fuel for 10-15 mins and do not drain the carbs when storing

being that i have driven cars for 35 years does not mean im a race car driver

but begin certified on these motors means that i know what im talking about

also if you plan on draining the carbs, do it when at home and not on the boat ramp

the whole reason why they say drain fuel is because nobody uses stabilizer
seafoam or marine stabil is the best

also the newer 4 stroke carbs have small jets and passageways, 2 stroke motors have bigger jets and passageways

we had this discussion last year at Yamaha training
the head techs said do not do it
we were shown o-rings and the needles when drained
the rubber dried out from no gas
yes they are not made with gas on them, but once a petroleum product gets on the rubber, and then there is no petroleum product on them, they dry out

this was with e-10 gas also

Back