Logo

1968 sea ray 24'

dimitrimfogal

Regular Contributor
hello gent my name is dimitri , my trailer has surge brakes, not functioning when bought the boat . im gearin up to fish this season but have work to do. the master cylinder looks rusty and hammerred , cant even see brake lines let alone condition of drums pads and the rest of the parts ( i assume the whole system is hammerred) any ballpark idea what the price tag on complete new brake system gonna be?
thanks...dimitri

Re: '68 sea ray 24'

A lot depends on the weight/size of the boat and the size of the trailer, the type trailer, and number of axels. If the trailer is really in bad shape, you are likely better off replacing the whole system - coupler, acuator, brake lines, hubs, bearings, seals, and complete brake assemblies. That will probably set you back at least $1200 - $1500 if you have a trailer shop do it for you. Also, carefully check your springs and replace them if you are not confident they are servicable. It is relatively easy to DIY if you have the time and tools, otherwise get a professional to do the work and get a firm estimate. If you plan to do a lot of trailering, be sure to have a professional check your alignment - a misaligned trailer will chew up you tires very rapidly. Final thing is to make sure your tires are in good shape - no dry rot or sidewall cuts. Make it a habit to park your trailer on a hard stand. If none available, use treated 2 X 10 boards under the wheels.

If you are going to go that far, you may want to replace all the lights with LED's while your at it. They last much longer and are impervious to water.

Back