Logo

2002 4 stroke 50TLRA lower unit installation

2zfield

Pulled the lower, had skeg repaired, got it back, mounted it, won't shift into neutral. Seems to stay in either forward or reverse. Can't figure out how to shift lower into neutral for install. How can I shift lower into neutral in order to install it?:confused:

It appears that a rotary motion is used to do the shifting.----------------So put the control in forward and the lower unit in forward ( rotate the shift rod ) Check by rotating the driveshaft to ensure it is in forward.-----------Re-assemble.

Look at the upper shift rod while sombody operates the control , to determine which way to turn for nuetral / reverse.----------There is a spring on the clutch dog that you have to overcome ( pliers required to turn the shift rod )-----------------------How much damage was done to it ???----------Did somebody have it apart to do the welding ???

Done it. Counterclockwise for forward - clockwise for reverse. How much pressure do I need to apply to the shift gear on the lower to overcome the spring? I put quite a bit on it. And, went clockwise to try and find revers. The skeg was the only thing that needed repair it shifted and ran great prior to that, it was not disassembled during the repair process.

racerone, got it thanks. A little more pressure and it worked out like you said. I'm just real good at breaking stuff. Especially when it's lotsa $$$$$$$$. Thanks again.

I am sure that you are aware that in order to operate / shift with the control box that the motor must be running------------or ---------with the motor stopped someone must turn the propeller.

Yes, I know. I didn't have the lower shifter in the correct position. Was afraid of too much torqueing on the lower shifter rod. But, thanks to you I got over it.:)

Back