Logo

rebuild or new low comp. 1980 80 hp

jerry123

1989 80 hp outboard i just purchased. former owner said boat would run until got hot and would not run until it cooled. today i tested comp. i disconnected the throttle cable and wedged a socket in it to hold it open while cranking. # 1 35 lbs. # 2 95 lbs. # 3 100 lbs. i then spoke with a local dealer he said sometimes the crankshaft and bearings fry. then i would be paying to tear it down for nothing. should i buy a new or remaned. powerhead ? otherwise the motor seems to have had regular service.

Re: rebuild or new low comp.

This is allways a good topic with several possibilities,It depends on the pocket book and if you are mechanically inclined.If you are up to tearing her apart to see what damage there actually is and if a rebuild is possible.Boring out the cylinders new pistons and rings and maybe new bearings and time = pretty much a new motor.Remanufatured power head or a new power head in my opinion will cost you more.Another Idea is to try and find a complete motor of that era that is in descent shape and do a swap out plus you would have spare parts for future part swaps.
Good Luck.

Sounds like maybe the water pump failed -------------------------Pull the exhaust cover off ( just 20 bolts or so ) and look at the pistons and rings.----------------Will also let you determine condition of crankshaft and rods ( to a degree ) by seeing how pistons move when turning flywheel.

Be careful removing the bolts on that exhaust plate. They tend to snap off.

Jeff

PS: If you're mechanically inclined, and have the tools/ location, you can hone and re-ring that motor back to life. I've resurrected ones a LOT worse than that.

The 80 horse used the same powerhead as the 70, 75 and 90 - so popular, lot's out there and it was a great design - definately on my personal list of "worth rebuilding".

If you can do some/most of the work yourself you can generally rebuild a 3 cylinder for under 1000 bucks (that would include brand new pistons, bearings, rings etc). You may find a local rebuilder that will do the work for about a grand if the damage is not overly extensive (bore out 1 hole, new piston for that bad cylinder, re-ring the others).

Alternately, the going rate for a reman powerhead in this horsepower is about $2695. For that you simply get the powerhead, you would still have to supply the carbs and ignition system from your existing motor. If you require a shop to remove and reinstall for you, you could be looking at upwards of 4K for the swap out (not worth it in my opinion when you can pick up a brand new 2 stroke 90 horse Merc for under 6K)

Back