Logo

1974 85 hp Merc. 850 Ignition Woe's

gearhead143

I have a 1974 850 that before I put it to sleep 10 years ago ran great. Before I put it down for its long nap I ran the carb's out of fuel and fogged it just before it shut down. It has been stored in a heated shop all these years.
I brought it out this year, replaced all the fuel lines, filter, spark plugs, lower unit oil,water pump,*filled one of the tanks with merc mix and clear fuel. primed it and it fired right up and sounded great with no load.
Took it up to the lake and when after it was warmed up under a load it started to misfire. This got worse as the day went on.*Changed plugs again with no luck.*Got it home and checked the dist cap and could see carbon tracks, must have been a lightning storm in there.
Heres the big problem. The cap has been discontinued, and I found the rotor (shaft) here at the cost of over $400.00. Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheap Ill spend the money if I have to, but I think this is three times the amount I paid for the last one when I put a new power head in. The cap is the big problem. Does anyone know where I can get one???

Re: 1974 Merc. 850 Ignition Woe's

E-bay is your best hope. You can buy a complete distributor for under 100 bucks.

Jeff

Clean the distributor cap ( have it tested by someone with a MERC-O-TRONIC tester.if you like )-------------Likely it can be used again.------------------------They were well made and therefor no call for them, and hence no more manufacturing of them.

I have a couple of them.I have yet to see one not function unless like me break them because lack of patience.The ones I do have are not new and are missing the carbon thingy and spring other than that good shape.You can PM me if interested.

Back