Logo

Lower Prop shaft bent :)(

jmsjohnston

I have a Yamaha 250 4 stroke on my 25' parker that during my "winterizing", I found that the lower drive, prop shaft is bent, and spinning with a little "wobble". Is this a job that I can do during the changing of the impeller replacement that I will have to do this spring? I found that the lower case had about 4 oz of oil left when I drained it out to change the lower drive oil (90) weight)). Took 1 qt. to fill it back up, so I knew I was dealing with a seal problem also. I dont have a problem taking on these "jobs", but if I have to have special tools, then I may as well take it to a person that has the tools to do the job. I would like to buy the parts needed to do the job and just pay the labor.

Any comment would help alot.

Thanks,
JMS
confused.gif

---------------boats.net----------------Should have the parts listing.--------------Yamaha shafts tend to bend fairly easily. Seals are " rubber " all over and if water gets in between seals in winter, then the ice moves the seals.-----------This causes leaks.-------------The unit must come apart and a local shop may be able to straighten it.

Lists at $290.00-----Boats .net------Yamaha shaft bend fairly easily. Seals likely need to be replaced.------Unit must come apart

if the shaft is bent it will need new seals right ? what about bearings and will that tear up the uper shafts or gears or just make it create heat??? i have a 50hp outboard with a hot uper lower unit and i think the shafts bent havnt checked yet but looks wobbly

if the shaft is bent it will need new seals right ? what about bearings and will that tear up the uper shafts or gears or just make it create heat??? i have a 50hp outboard with a hot uper lower unit and i think the shafts bent havnt checked yet but looks wobbly

What the heck.. spin the prop and see if it's wobbly.. that's what i did.. Pull on the prop.. you should only have about 1/8 inch movement. Spin it, yo will see if it's out of "round" on the spin. If that's the case it is the shaft. Seals must be replaced if the shaft comes out.

Last edited:
Back