Logo

50 mercury out board how do you change the water pump

hilts73

im buggered if i know , can anyone tell me how the to change the water pump, i dont know how to take out the lower caseing im stumped
please help

thank you
hilts

I take it you have found all the retaining nuts and bolts, 4 all up. 1 up the front, 2 on the side and 4th....... under the trim tab. To take the trim tab off remove the plastic cover on the top side of the lower casing then undo that bolt, which will allow the trim tab to be removed. Undo the front and back ones first then undo each side 1 a bit at the time. It should then come apart.

To be honest though this wont be the end of your questions i would suggest a manual beacause you will be on here asking how to put it all back together.

Weve taken all the nuts and bolts of the lower unit. It seperates bout 20mm, but its like theres something stopping it from coming apart. Weve read other comments about this procedure, and theres suggestion of a pin in the upper casing that needs to come out. We dont have a manual but were anxious to see the trick involved in getting the lower casing of.

yes we have we have losen the two bolts at the back ,the bolt above the prop and the two bolts to do with the trim,have shaken the lower unit and even tried to wedge it to get it apart, but still no go.....extra knowledge needed

have a look under the lower carbie to see if theres a rod thats connects to part of the gearchange mechanism,that disappears down the tube to the g/box.if you work the gears,see if that rod is pulled up and down.it might recquire the connecting link to be disconnected,to allow that gear rod to be pulled thru.

No linkage or pin on those ------------------Splined shift shaft slides apart--------------What is the model / serial #

Back