Logo

1978 500 50hp fuel problem

dde428

Havent been on here in awhile since the boat has run great untill recently. I took it out yesterday and ran great all day untill the last time I started it to go in. The motor would cough and stall out after a few seconds, I squeezed the prime bulb from the fuel tank and tried it again and finally got it going enough to get off the lake. It runs great when on plane but just getting the the motor to idle is tough. It doesnt do this all the time, just when we're miles from the ramp! Has a new fuel tank, fresh fuel, flushed carbs last year before winter, plugs are within a year old and look ok. I had a crack in my old fuel tank and thought air was geting in last year when this happened but have no clue now.

Re: 78 500 50hp fuel problem

Time to establish the condition of the motor.-----------Compression test, followed by a spark check.----You must have spark that will jump a gap of at least 3/8" at each plug.

I'll bet you got "evil-nolled" and the carbs/ fuel pump needs rebuilding. (Just wait: 15 % gasahol is coming!) Have you tried re-adjusting the idle mixture screws?

Jeff

Back