Logo

Detroit Diesel 1985 6V92 TA HP rating

joesig

How do you determine the Horse power of a DD 6V92 TA marine engine with 7125 injectors and the single large water cooled turbo? It is in a 1985 42' Chris Craft sport fisherman. I have been told it could be 465, 485 even 500Hp. Is there a simple formula for this?
Thanks,
Joe

dont know a inj 9125, need to look body of inj for round tag ,this will give size.no simple formula.but i may come up hp rateing.

Marv,
The round silver tag on one of my old injectors has 7125 on it, The Detroit Diesel Reliabilt box that the replacement remanufactured injectors came in has Part # R5227125 Type 7125. Thats all I know.
Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for the information. I have another question; back in 1985 the engines were supplied with two small hot turbo's, in 2005 the previous owner had the single large water cooled turbo(DD#23500956) and water cooled manifolds installed on both engines. An inframe overhaul was performed in late 2009 right after I purchesed the boat that's why I know the injector numbers. I know the mechanic told me the injector timing durring the overhaul but I must have misplaced it.

I guess my question is did the changing of the turbo's effect the hp and if the injector timing is not 1.508" would that change the hp rating? Thanks, Joe Signorelli

Joe,
The single and double turbo set ups are both the same horse power 550. Also they both are timed the same when using 7125 injectors. The double turbo units had turbo exhaust leaking problem but were easier to locate cylinder or injector issues. Where the single turbo water jacked units never leaked. But the water jacked exhaust manifolds on the singles are jacketed right up to the head which makes it very difficult to quickly locate a hot or cold cylinder. These Detroits are all I do in the field so if you like you can call me direct 978-265-7879. I have specialized in these Detroits for 43 years handling parts as well. go to infielddiesel.com

Back