Logo

Mercury 1964 500 50 hp idle

Hi, I have a 1964 merc 500 that I have just replaced the impeller, as it was pumping but not that well.
Had no problem fitting the new impeller.
Double checked the timing and gave it a run on the muffs, it starts up OK but the idle speed seems to be up and down, it sounds like some cylinders are not firing and then pick up again.
I cannot see that it has anything to do with the impeller, but it was running better the week before.

Any thought's

Re: Mercury 50hp idle

You have done a compression check , #'s are ??---------------Well it may be running cooler now.-------------Adjust slow speed needles ( boat in the water and in gear )----------------You have of course looked at the points in the magneto, they tend to wear and close up.----------Take the distributor off clean and set points at 0.010"------Plug wires are not shorting to the block anywhere??

Thanks for that, did the slow speed adjusting, didn't help.
Only just put the motor back together, not been run for years
Compression is good and I haven't touched the magneto, so that looks like the next job.
Will have to pull the magneto off and give it the once over.

Mercury.jpgP1010044.jpg

You checked the reed valves when carburetors were off ??

No I didn't know to look at the time, But I was running nice and smooth last week.
Anyway 4D-4 magneto is in bits on the kitchen table as I type, we will see how it runs in a day or so.

This was the first run.

Last edited:
Back