Logo

Pull Switch Repair

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
The push/pull, on/off bilge pump switch would not make contact. I wanted to keep the original look and the off the shelf stuff at the auto store did not have a long enough mount neck to go thur my 3/4" dash. So I decided to tear into the OEM.

Actually, it was quite simple on this one and it is likely a common design. The brass case has two prongs that bend over to hold a micarta cover. Gently straighten the prongs and slowly slide the cover off. There is a spring or two in there so take care when removing so that the assemble order will not be lost. The switch rod simply pushes a brass pad onto a set of contacts. These can be removed for cleaning and polishing. Should only take 10 minutes plus time to remove and replace in then dash.

This saved me $10 and driving all over town to find one or order one. This results in 3 gals of gas and more time on the water not to mention keeping the original look.

Great to hear that. Just a hint but do you have a float switch too?

Yes the 3/4" dash panels and various dash panels use odd size switches. Many switches I have installed have been counter sunk from the reverse side and sealed up with some epoxy.

You did the right thing to save that switch and proved it was the worth the gamble.

Back