Logo

So what have YOU been doing all winter?

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
I built me a new dink boat, using a Bob Dillon Mini Vee design for the hull shape. To power it will be a Merc 70 hp triple, but it needed a new hood, so I made one from fiberglass (paint candy apple red). Being lightweight, along with the Mark 55 tower and LU I adapted to the triple powerhead, the whole works weighs only 145 pounds (vs. nearly 200 stock).

Now to wait for Spring! Arrrghhh!

Jeff

Hood-2011.JPG

Attachments

• W73-Done.jpg
    W73-Done.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 35
I've been taking it easy (lots of snow this year) and doing a bit of part-time work to save a few extra bucks for boat gas once our season starts.

Up this way gas is currently selling for $1.19/liter (that's $4.62 a US gallon) and expected to go up another 20 cents a liter this summer.

Now that may sound "cheap" in Britain/Europe, but over here 5 bucks a gallon is quite expensive especially when my 140 burns almost 7 gallons an hour at cruise speed and close to 14 gallons per hour if I open her up - maybe a nice sail boat is the way to go :)

The flooding has been terrible, all down the east coast but we have been lucky here. My friend in the gold coast actually had his boat tied to the house and disconnected from the trailer incase they flooded.

Unleaded is running at €1.45 = $2 US,roughly,a liter.Could be worse,in the UK,it's running at around £1.40+ a liter,$2.20 US.
Been playing with a 1981 yammi 85,debating whether to forget it and break it for parts for the 75 yammi, and I have my orange monstrosity,the Shakespeare, turned upside down sanded and waiting for filling and painting but it has been so damm cold here it's not good for fiberglassing.And my shed ain't heated,must invest in a space heater.
I love to sail but my ever patient and beautiful wife would divorce me if I tried to put her in a sail boat,so I'll stick to the intoxicating smell of two stroke:D

Back