Logo

Keel repair

pop pop

Hi guys, whats the best way to repair the keel on my boat. It is an older boat that the keel is wearing through and is leaking water. I have tried to fix with fiberglass and mesh but it does not seem to last. Any idea's
Rick

It is an older boat that the keel is wearing through and is leaking water. I have tried to fix with fiberglass and mesh but it does not seem to last.

Ayuh,... My guess is, you need better preparation, over a larger area, 'n build it thicker...

Got a picture,..??

That leaking water is your enemy. The area must be 100% dry to attempt a repair and you must be using the proper fiberglass resins. Most over the counter resins contain wax and are not suitable for large repairs. There are "lay up" resins and finish resins and you want a layup resin.

I am bit crazy when I work on keels and I always want maximum strength and adhesion so I use west system epoxy.

Another point to consider. Since you are having water intrusion the repair might be best accomplished from BOTH sides inside the hull and outside the hull. I am sorry to say but holes and leaks in fiberglass hulls do not get better with age.

I think the moisture is your biggest enemy on the lasting repair. It MUST be completely dry for the repair to adhere properly. Also as Bond-o said you may need to tab into a larger area also.

Back