Logo

F150 4 stroke leaking oil from water intake

longboater

Newbie here with oil / water leakage from the water intake area.

Tilted the motor up and noticed oil and water dripping out of the water intake.
Lowered the motor down and all leakage stopped.

Looking for information leading to the cause of this.

Tomorrow I will be looking into the engine oil for clues.

Thank you for your help.
Longboater

Just purchased the pump kits (2) and (4) shaft seals for the two motors. (The oil is gear oil coming out of the gear case). I have decided to do this work myself to save the labor costs.
I do not have a clue what the labor is, but it must be much higher than me.
Being retired, I have nothing but time.

Keep you posted as I go along. I will be doing this repair on the boat lift over water, so great care to prevent spillage is paramount.

Last edited:
buy a factory manual

Thanks, I did in 04. The problem is, I do not work on these motors much and the How-To directives in this manual are poor. I purchased a non OE manual that had better How-To sections and got the job done. The most difficult issue was the Woodruff key removal as it is not SST. The second was the removal of the two shaft oil seals to the gear case. Really torn up on both motors. All is back now for a test run this after noon after inspection of the thermostats.

Both water pumps were in very good condition. All oil seals (2 each motor) were in very poor condition. Don't know the cause as I have no experience with this issue.

Bad weather down here so work was put on hole.
All together now and tested well. Water resistant grease (Yamaha) was used on the new sears and all screws, not the specified very special Loctite materials, as none are stocked around here including Graingers. Went to Cannans, and top notch dealer and there service manager showed me what they use........Yamaha water resistant grease.
So, no this box is checked. Now for another, the Tilt / Trim rods, pins and bushings. How are they greased?

ya you need to know how to read the manual
because it is written in Japaneses then translated into English

mercury manuals would work

Back