Logo

Mariner 9.9 Trouble

B.I.

I have a 1996 Mariner 9.9 that i use as a trolling motor. It has always run great, i have had a mechanic service it beginning and end of each season. the last time i was out it started puttering a little but not real bad. i get home and look at it and it has made a ton of oil (with gas). so i flush it several times and get it cleaned up then i go to change the lower unit oil and nothing came out, its empty. is there a correlation between these two? hopefully its not ruined. Thanks for any help.

You need to pressure test the lower unit. It sounds as if a seal has gone bad or the lower unit oil was left unfilled. Hopefully you have not done any damage but time will tell. Inspeck carefully for cracks too.

When you turn the prop by hand do you feel any choppiness? I would flush the lower unit and carefully observe what comes out, looking for significant metal pieces and chips.

Possibly the "shortest route" is to re-fill the lower unit and run it for a few hours and check it.

the prop seems smooth. ill drain the new oil i put in the lower unit and pressure test. i cant imagine the mechanic forgot to fill it back up, i ran it alot after it was serviced so, it probably would have died a while back if that were the case. any thoughts on making oil in the crankcase? wondering if maybe when it started to run out of lower unit oil it got hot and started making oil? maybe not, maybe i just have 2 different problems.

Back