Logo

40hp mercury stick drive...need some help

Just got an old 40 HP 2 stroke mercury stick drive from my uncle who got it from a friend who has had it setting up for over 7 years.so on and so forth.I have no idea what year it is or even as of yet if it runs.I have the serial number but cant seem to figure out how to find out any info on it.I would like to find out if i can convert it to tiller handle if able but i have no idea where to look to find out how to find the correct parts i need.Any help would be great! you can email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
I get 1972 for that,can't help you on the parts,sorry,but I think it would be expensive.Your best bet would be to buy a non runner donner motor

I also have one of these my only trouble after a rebuild is finding a throttle cable to suit it , can I adapt one or make one ? Any help would be bloody great because my boat is ready for the water with a new floor and rebuilt motor but no throttle cable !! It’s a sad state of affairs here
thanks in advance

Both you guys need to call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. 218 682-2331, tell em Tim sent ya. You will talk to Mike or Dan. 50 years in business. They have been so good over the other places around that I have bought parts from. What I get from them is excellent and salt free. I have a neat tiller kit I put on my Merc 402 back in 1975 or 76. They might have one on a used motor they will take off and send you. Get your carb kits there, whatever you need, as they sell used parts as well as new....usually shipping the same day. I bought an Evinrude powerhead once and it came wrapped up like a baby in a giant green bath towel. It was so mint and clean that I installed the vintage powerhead on my customer's boat and used the towel to take a bath. Its still my favorite bath towel......and my customer is so very happy I have a couple more customers that he sent over to me. I never have to advertise anymore. Part of the reason is that the local shops won't work on pre-2000 year stuff anymore. They don't really have to, the new stuff keeps them plenty busy.

Back