Logo

Tago switch.

Sakkk

Need a little help. Working on a friends boat. My question is this. The stern drive on this boat was brought up and will not go down. It is ran by a electric motor. I tested it and it would click in the up and not in the down. Power to the up from the switch yet no power to the down. Replaced the switch yet cannot find the out of the power wire to the councel.

I assume you have a 12 volt system running the tilt/trim motor. Briefly connect a hot lead directly from the battery to each of the motor terminals - normally one is green and one is blue. That should operate the motor properly - one lead will move the drive up and the other will move it down. If that works, then you have a break in the wire from the console switch to the tilt/trim motor, assuming you hooked up the new switch properly. Inspect the wiring harness carefully, especially at any connectors. The blue-green color scheme will run through the entire harness.

If the procedure above does not operate the motor in each direction, then you have an internal problem in the motor and needs to be removed and repaired. Since the motor operates going up, then I would suspect you simply have a disconnected wire inside the motor between terminal and the acuator.

Thank you chawk_man,

The information is helpfull. The first thing I shoud have done was test the motor by running a hot lead to the blue and then to the green connection of the motor. Yet what I did was to test power to the motor. With a test light. When the switch was placed in the up posistion I had power to that side of the motor. When in the down no power so I tested the switch and both green and blue comming in had power to the switch. So I tested the down wire from the switch and no power. Am I not correct that if the power supply never reaches the down side of the motor the outdrive will not go down. So in the dark and under the panel I replaced the wires and the switch. The blue and green I have correct yet when I pulled the red wire the power source to the switch off. I could'ent find the connection agian. I think I hooked it up to a gauge and now no power in up or down. I will pull the panel out on Saterday and I think I will find the correct power plug in and problem solved.

Yet I thank you agian for the information about the wire disconnect internal of the motor. If by chance you would need to know anything about chassis of a automobile I would be happy to answer as I have 33 years in my trade. Yet I don't know a lot about boats. Just getting my feet wet. Thanks agian.
Sakkk

Yep - if you don't have power to the switch, it won't work in either direction. Let us know if that fixed the problem. Thanks for the offer on chassis issues.

I'm just a self taught recreational fisherman who has been around boats for a long time. Almost all of dealing with boats is mechanical logic. When I got my first four-stroke, a Honda 225, I figured I needed to learn a lot about it, since they are so much different from the old two-strokes, so I joined this forum. This forum has been the most helpful I've ever come across, especially the motor sections.

Chawk_man.

I thank you agian. My friends say that I know everything. I sad to say I know only what I strive to learn. I will be happy to offer this place of people that help each other along the way. See you on the flip side of life my friend. Perhaps just by chance that is where life will end and start agian.

Sakkk

Thanks friend,

My work is as a auto chassis teck for now 33 years. My best friend bought a boat and drove it around a few close lakes if you can call them lakes LOL. I laugh at myself as now I find myself a boat mechanic. The worm gear shaft was broken the tilt moter would not work in the down posisition. I replaced the broken shaft the tago switch and the tilt motor. It works on the up side yet still no down. O well the hard part is done. Now wiring fault or the selonide That is a incorrect spelling. I thank you my friend . have a fine morrow as I will be out on the lady the sea come Fryday the eigth.

Sakkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Back