Logo

1990 Force 90 hp quits in 10 seconds

BaylinerBill

Runs great for 10 seconds...dies like someone shut the key every time.

New fuel (87 octane - 50:1 premix) out of 2 gallon can.
Carbs are clean - perfect.
Compression seems sufficient. Runs great - 10 secs.
Spark is gorgeous with plugs out.
Fuel pump condition??? - doesn't run long enough to measure pressure. Bowls stay full, some gas runs out back of carbs after shut down. I have been pumping hand primer to eliminate (hopefully) possibility of bad fuel pump. Also have gravity feed set up.

My guess is for some reason the ignition cuts out shortly after rpms spin up. I heard of stator / ignition system issues, but not sure the details....anyone help please???

I have the Prestolite, Capacitor Discharge system.

Thanks,
Bill

Definetly some sort of electrical issue going on. There is arching on a few of the wires on the engine terminal block with no obvious reason. I think that the high plug voltage is leaking somewhere it shouldn't. That is the only way I can explain the arching on the terminal block when all wires are clean and tight. It is arching between them - approx .20 inches or so. Probably lucky there is no fire yet. Again, comments welcome.

All, Thanks for your replies.

I was able to isolate the issue and get the motor to run properly. For some reason I have approx. 70 volts DC on the green wire from the key that powers the choke when the key is pressed in. Not sure why the 70 volts yet...but that voltage was some how drowning out the spark. I have the choke wire disconnected for now.

Next question for you all is what should I go over on the boat / motor before making my maiden voyage? Is it a must to inspect the anode? The water pump? Gear oil? Anything else?

Also - getting a tow boat US policy. I heard that is a must.

70 volts??Wow.First trip,Check/change the oil in the lower.Be careful not to remove the wrong screw.Get a manual. If you keep it in the water change the anode otherwise it should be OK.Change the impeller.You don't know how old it is.
If you have time inspect the fuel pump.It's probably gonna need a new diaphram.Look for soft hoses and any leaks.
Fuel stabilizers are now a necessity.Ethanol isin't a boaters best friend.Have a fuel/water seperator? Install one.The kind with a sediment bowl is best.
Tow Boat is a great thing.You break down and it's about $350 or more.The insurance is $150.Good buy.Jerry

Back