Logo

'1984 8.2T marine starting problems

Greg Slezak

:confused:I have a 31' Chris Craft Commander with twin Detroit 8.2T's. It is 12V. The problem that I am encountering is that I cannot start either engine from the start buttons. When I try to, I turn the key switch and hear the fuel solenoid click on and hear the oil pressure buzzer as I normally do . When I press the start button all I hear is the starter solenoids clicking and the engine does not crank. At first I thought it may have been that the batteries were to low to activate the starter. I charged them up and still nothing. I load tested them and they checked out fine. With a voltage meter I tested at different points. At the solenoid, key switch, and the start button I measured 12.7V. When the start button is pressed the voltage on the button drops to 6.5V to even 3.4V. I can however jump the solenoid and crank the engines over and run them. I tried to run a new solenoid wire from the start button back to the solenoid and jumping over the button and key switch all together. None of which worked. I also disconnected the wiring harness in the engine compartment. With a key starter switch with alligator clips on the 2 wires, on the engine side of the harness, I made a connection between the power and solenoid wires. I turned the key and the same thing happened. All I heard was the solenoid click. I checked the wires for breaks or damage and found nothing visually wrong with them. I changed all connectors and cleaned up all the terminals. I bought 2 new solenoids and rebuilt the starters. I also isolated the starting system and made sure there was nothing else stealing power of it.
I'm at a loss here. What else can you recommend doing?:confused:

Re: '84 8.2T marine starting problems

sounds like you have a bad ground,check ground wire from battery to engines. also try hooking up a remote starer button,from sol to starter

Thanks for your input Marv. I did check all the grounds associated with the starting system. I made sure that the connectors where clean or new. I also removed everything ie. GPS, stereo, VHF from pulling the power off it. It shouldn't have been there anyway. I just bought the boat and after getting it surveyed thought I was making out on the deal.

Measuring voltages at "way points" such as switch and solenoid connections is a good and valid way to tell what volts are "available" to that device. But, it won't tell you what amount of volts that device may be using or "robbing" from that circuit. Your volt meter can be used in a very effective way to identify bad components such as switches, wires, cables and even poor connections in a circuit by taking "voltage drop" readings. The concept is simple:

Ideally, the "load" in the circuit should be the only thing in that circuit to "consume" voltage. Let's look at something simple, a 12v motor hooked to a 12v battery and controlled with an on/off switch between them. One wire from Battery+ post to the switch with another wire from the switch to the motor's Positive terminal. Another wire from the B- post to the case on the motor for ground. A complete circuit. With the only item in that circuit intended to "consume" voltage/current being the motor itself. That's the theory. However, that's not what is actually happening.

The wire in the circuit, in fact, will consume a very small amount of the current because of resistance. Each and every connection in the circuit will also contain a bit of resistance and "consume" some current as well. It's all because nothing in our world is perfect, not even new wiring or new switches or pristine connections. But, we can use the voltmeter to make sure that each connection, wire, cable and switching component doesn't take too much.

If, for instance, you take your voltmeter leads, while on the 12v scale, and touch each terminal of the start switch you will see 0 volts. But, when you activate the switch, you will get a reading (assuming you are using a quality instrument) of "some" voltage. Ideally, it would be zero volts but close to zero is real and acceptable. Let' say your meter reads .015 volts (15 millivolts). That is considered acceptable. A reading of anything over .250 volts (250 millivolts) would indicate a failing switch with too much resistance across the contacts.

Here's the cool part. You can then take your leads and place them on each side of every connection in that circuit and read how much each connection is consuming. You can connect the leads at each end of a wire and determine if that wire is conducting current with little resistance or if it is internally damaged and is acting as a load instead of a conductor. You can place the positive lead on the battery post and the negative lead on the positive cable end right next to it and directly read how well that "interface" of cable and post is conducting. A low reading means a good, clean, tight connection at the battery and a high reading means take it off, clean it and put it back tight. I hope this is making sense to you as this is probably the way for you to find your problem.

Here's the rub; these tests only work when the circuit is operating. You need to connect your leads and then ACTIVATE the circuit to take voltage drop readings. So, you may need an assistant. This is one of the ONLY ways to ACCURATELY identify a bad battery/starter cable.

A 000 or 0000 cable has many small wires twisted together to form the large diameter cable needed to deliver AMPS to the starter motor. Many mechanics still use an ohmmeter to test these cables for conductivity. That doesn't work! All of the wires in that cable could be broken except for one and you will get a good resistance reading on an ohmmeter. But, if you do a voltage drop test across that cable, you will get a high voltage reading and that will tell you that the cable is bad.

Volt drop testing is valid anywhere in the circuit. Positive side or ground side doesn't matter. It will ALWAYS tell you exactly what is happening across connections and components even if that component is a ten foot long piece of steel used to hook the ground strap to.

I hope I didn't confuse you and I will be here to help you with the concept if you need it.

Thanks jgmo for helping. I'm taking today off from working on it before I go crazy. Tomorrow I will follow you advise and test all components, connections, and wires alnog the circut. I will write down the results of each and see what I got. I will get back with you and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

One thing I would like to see you try before you do any other tests is to check your batteries' "cranking volts". I know you said that you load tested them and they are ok, but, since you say that you can "jump the solenoids" to crank the engines, it would be a live, working stress test that could yield valuable information about the batteries' condition.

I'm a little unclear on your system and how it operates. How many and what type batteries? For instance; one 8D or two 8D connected in parallel? Or, four group 31 connected in parallel?. That sort of thing. Do you use an isolator switch for charging and system shut off? Does this system have the solenoids mounted "piggyback" on the starter motors or, are they remotely mounted in the engine room...or, both...remote MAGNETIC SWITCHES that deliver power to the Bendix SOLENOID mounted on the starters for pinion engagement?

Anyway, I hope you are aware that you are dealing with two different circuits here. The first is what I call the "control" circuit. It consists of the batteries and wiring from the batteries to a circuit breaker/fuse panel. From the panel the wiring to your ignition and start switch(es), the switches, wiring from the switches to the MAGNETIC SWITCHES or SOLENOIDS or, if both the wiring between the two , and the ground for those.
This is the circuit that you are essentially bypassing when you "jump" the solenoids and start the engines.

The second circuit is the BIG AMP circuit and is pretty much just the batteries, the Positive cable to the starter motor and the battery ground cable either from the starter motor or the engine block. Sometimes, an isolator, A-B or cutoff switch is in the positive side too and should be considered if that's the case. This circuit seems to be working since you can still crank the engines but could still have excessive resistance.

If you jump the control circuit and the engine cranks, check what the voltage, measured at the battery posts, pulls down to while cranking. The rule of thumb is that it should not fall below 9.6 volts. As a matter of fact, with the control circuit not being energized, it should stay up around 10 volts or so with the engine cranking. This is a very good way to determine if your batteries are "up to snuff". Check this reading at each individual set of battery posts and note any differences.

Sorry for all the verbiage but I'm trying to cover a lot of ground. Hope this helps. The good news is that your engines start and run and the rest of this is just head scratching until you isolate and repair the cause. I suspect we'll probably locate the problem in the control circuit.

There are 2 8D running parallel. (running separate from each other) I have no isolator switch. The solenoid is "piggybacked" on the starter. I'm not too sure what you mean by "remotely mounted", "magnet switches". I'm going to try to break it down....
There is one battery per engine. (8D 12V) The B+ goes into a Perko shut-off switch for the battery and comes out of that switch to the solenoid. Out of the solenoid runs a power wire (orange) up to the console to an in dash breaker. There it is jumped to the key switch (purple wire). If the key switch is activated, the power is jumped through the gauges to the start button (purple wires) and back to the fuel solenoid(pink wire) on the engine. When the start button is pressed, the power runs back to the solenoid via the starter wire. (yellow/red stripe) The B- off the battery runs directly to the starter. I hope you understand this.
I was not aware of there being two circuits.

Ok, let me see if I have this right. There is only one key switch and one start button? Both engines crank simultaneously (when all is working) when the start button is depressed? Is that correct?

No, there are 2 key switches and 2 start buttons. They work independently from one another. Each set (key switch and start button) are powered by their own battery.

OK, that's good. But you are having the same problem with both engines, correct?

Yes. The same problem. Every now and then the start button will work on the port side then quit after 3 of 4 times trying. This led me to believe that there was a loose connection somewhere. I traced the wires and replaced and secured all connections in the line. Still the same.

Ok. So we have separate batteries and controls but one problem. Hmmm. Do both of the batteries hook to that same Perko switch? And does each individual Positive cable lead from that switch to the starters? I'm looking for something that is common to both systems other than just the problem. That is where you would want to start your voltage drop testing.

Yes, both batteries run into the same Perko switch but the switch has two separate knobs one for each battery. The cables run directly from the Perko to the starters.(each individual)

Alright. I'll leave you alone for awhile and stop asking so many questions until you have a chance to go back and take a look again. Hopefully something we've discussed will click for you and help locate the problem. I absolutely would suspect that Perko switch as being bad and would test for volt drops there first. It wouldn't be the first 1,2,both or off switch I've seen cause problems. Good luck.

When I looked in the breaker panel there are 2 separate breakers, 1 for the port and 1 for the starboard ignitions. Between the two is a wire jumping them together. That is the only thing that I can see common between the 2 systems. I'm not too handy with wiring but to me that seems out or place to be on separate systems.

Yeah, you might be on to something with that wire between the two circuit breakers. The question I have is; is that wire being used to SUPPLY voltage to the IN side of one of the circuit breakers? In other words, does one system's ignition go completely dead when that wire is disconnected? What ever the case, I would "uncouple" the two systems by disconnecting that wire and then do some more testing.

Last edited:

Because of the weather I didn't get to do much today. I did check out the wire that jumps between the two breakers. It is a supply, going from bar to bar in the panel, not to the breakers themselves. The power comes from the Perko to one bar of the panel. The that wire jumps it to the other bar and the another jumps it to a third bar. (the wire in question just happened to be at the breakers)
I did happen to look closer at the wires in the harness that the starter wire is in. There are 8 wires in it. 1 is the starter wire, 1 is the power going to the console, 1 is a ground the others seem to go from different gauges to the engine onto various "relays" or "sensors"? I'm not sure exactly what they are. Would one of them be drawing voltage? I plan on changing all their connectors and cleaning up the terminals on them. As far as the ignition breakers, where do the wires from the breakers go? It can't be the same circuit as the starter. I was going to trace them today to figure it out but the ice/snow+cold pulled me away.

I'm a bit confused. You stated earlier that the in dash circuit breakers were fed from a wire coming from the starter solenoid(s) main Positive terminal(s). That would be two wires, one for each ignition system. Now, are you saying that is not the case? That the circuit breakers are fed directly from the Perko switch with one wire? Let me know.

The solenoids are fed from the positives on the batteries. 2 separate wires carry the voltage to the console and the key switch, start buttons. In the breaker panel there are two breakers "labeled" port and starboard ignition. Do not quote me that that is what they do. I didn't get a chance to trace the wires and see where they go. Most likely the panel is labeled wrong. My question is, should there be another circuit running from the panel for the ignitions? I never tried to crank the engines without the 2 breakers on. If they are not going to anywhere in the starting system, I have no clue what they are for. I haven't noticed anything not working when they are off.

Yeah, that is curious. Not sure what to tell you about that. You may be right, the panel might be "generically" labeled incorrectly or, someone that has "been there before ya" has re-wired the system. In any case, I sent you a private message. Look at the top of this page and click on NOTIFICATIONS to read.

OK everyone. I have tried everything to isolate the start system circuits. I have removed anything that was on the line, checked all the grounds, all the connections, the terminals, all the devises, switches, buttons, and all the wires to and from each of them. I'm out of options besides sinking the damn thing and collecting the insurance $$$.....Can you tell that I have lost it!
jgmo has been doing his very best from across the country to help me out. A big thanks to him for his efforts. (you rock Big Jim)
The two of us are scratching our heads. If there is anyone out there who has encountered this problem or may have an idea of something that we have overlooked PLEASE let me know.

Back