Logo

DF150 Lower prop spindle housing

DrifterNY

I just winterized the boat and upon taking off my props I noticed the the starboard spindle/bearing housing where the spring/washer clip holds the bearings in completely snapped off. Approx a 1/4 " ring off the housing just completely snapped. I did have some mono fishing line caught in there but some thing is up. Has anyone ever seen/heard of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

So apparently the propeller shaft housing completely cracked/broke off where the groove for the bearing retaining clip fit in. I am waiting to see if this is covered under warranty.

either you have a bad prop or the propshafts

thats the only reason this would wear out unless you had water in the lower unit over last winter

I dont think that it had anything to do with water in the lower end, or a bad prop. I pulled quite a few hours in a machine shop when i was younger and i understand metal pretty good. It looks to me like there was to much opposing pressure on the groove that the clamp sits in and it wore itself down, which made it shear off. The piece is perfectly sheared.

Justintime, have you ever seen this before?, and do you think it would be covered under warranty???

should be covered under warranty

yes a out-of-round prop shaft will cause this
and yes a bad prop will cause this

considering i do this for a living and have almost seen it all

Thanks so much Justintime. I will bring to local dealer asap. I use the boat for work and need it as soon as ice melts. Do yo have any suggestions as to how to handle this with the warranty and dealer??

Back