Logo

Crusader 454 on V drives

Mav

Hi Folks,

This is my first post on the forum, I have searched and read all the posts on Crusader 454 engines which has helped a lot.

I am currently in negotiations to purchase a Silverton 360 that is powered by two Crusader 454 engines attached to V Drives.

Now I took it out for a sea trial yesterday and I noticed that the port engine was really putting out some steam, it would have been stretching back at least 10 to 12 feet and times. It was a very humid day so I guess that has an effect on this but I have a feeling there is something wrong. They are both FWC engines. I am putting a clip on to you tube so you all can see what I mean, I took this during the sea trial.

It was a very humid day

Ayuh,... By design, marine manifolds throw cold water into the path of Hot exhaust....

Steam, by itself really isn't much of a diagnostic tool...

Ayuh,... By design, marine manifolds throw cold water into the path of Hot exhaust....

Steam, by itself really isn't much of a diagnostic tool...

Yep some steam is expected but not the amount that is coming from the port engine. I have had a mechanical report done on both engines and the recommendation is to replace the risers on both which is what I am having done.

Well I ended up having the risers replaced on both engines, turned out they were not Crusaders but Marine Power 454's. I only found out once I got to the boat. Anyways I had both engines have 100 hour services done and replaced all spark plugs and filters. New start batteries for both motors and the genset. It runs sweet as now and no steam either. Unfortunately the boat soaked up more than we had expected in repairs, which have all been done, and there is no money left to relocate her to our home port so we put it back on the market for a very reasonable price, certainly it is the cheapest 36' boot on the market where she is and I would say the best bang for buck on the east coast of Australia at the moment.

Back