Logo

Motor issue

calibre16

Hi,

I was out the other day fishing, all was good until my motor started playing up.
It didn't lose complete power, however, whilst accelerating the motor would lose power & then pick up again & then lose power & pick up again - Backfiring. This would occur every 3-5 seconds.
I tried to narrow it down to a fuel, spark plug or carby clean issue, however after changing all these it still happens. I think it could be a coil pack issue but I'm not sure what year model my motor is

Make: Mariner 20 hp
Serial Number : 9441132/B4822

The first thing to do is a compression test !--------------Then check to see if spark will jump a gap of 7/16" or more on both plug wires.----------------------Report what you find.

I know you said you changed fuels, but did you clear the old fuel out of the carby by turning the dump screw that's on the bowl - to clear out the old fuel ?

Did you unscrew the filter mesh and bowl thats on the side of the engine near the carby and clean it out ?

I'd remove that mesh, and pump 2-3 pumps of fresh fuel through.. then I'd put it back on - and with the bottom bowl screw open.. put a few pumps in and flush it out ( saves having to pull it all down as a quick fix )

Then I'd be checking your plugs and earthing, make sure you've got a good clean connection to the earth on the engine...

I havent seen a coil pack go before, I'm sure it's possible - but it sounds more fuel related with a blocked mainjet to me.. sounds like you either have some goop in the jet, or a blockage from some dodgy that's been sucked up ( and sounds identical to me, with the same issues.. ) I pulled my carby, took the main jet off the bottom and found a tiny piece of grit in there that caused me hours of heartache and tantrums trying to fix..

Best of luck mate !

Hi,

I finally got around to it & totally flushed the fuel tank empty, cleaned the carby, changed the spark plugs & it is running like a dream. Must have been something small stuck in the Jet.
Thanks for your tips, advice & actually giving a **** about my minor problem. Much appreciated People.

Regards,

Calibre 16

Back