Logo

Rusted and ceased bolts

puffin

I have been trying to remove rusty/ceased bolts from the exhaust manifold on my diesel engine. Conventional tools wont shift them, any suggestions?

Got a way to get em really hot ?

I found an acetylene torch works a treat, just get em nice and hot - they should free up with a little love..

( Dont go nuts and try and burn em off, but you might need a little more heat than standard propane/LPG )

2X on the acetylene torch for freeing the seized fasteners. Just be careful with what the business end contacts and make sure you have adequate ventilation. if the torch is a non-starters, PB . I've had best luck with it when it sits overnight.

Thanks for your help. The torch could well be out of the question as resources in Bar Montenegro are limited. merCrusader what is PB sorry if it should be obvious.

Sorry about that - PB Blaster. Its a penetrant readily found in the auto parts stores around here. The better hardware stores should have it as well.

If you can get a hand help propane torch or a cylinder of MAPP for the propane tip you can generate enough heat..... How long are the bolts through the manifold? You might have to grind off the heads to get back near the threads after you slide the manifold off.

Back