Logo

Dropping lower unit on 1988 8hp Merc.

wassajet

Contributing Member
I need to change the impeller on a 1988 8hp merc. outboard, serial# 9519577.Are there any hidden bolts that i need to look for & how & where do i disconnect the shift rod ? All help will be much appreciated.

I recommend buying manual for it, hopefully from this site. (They deserve our support. Agreed?) You'll make less mistakes that way.

Jeff

There is a quick disconnect linkage ( no tools required ) near the carburetor on the port side of the motor.------------Link swings out of the way to disconnect the shift rod.

I have attached the two pic's to show where the shift shaft connection is located and what you will see when you get a close look (but do agree with Jeff, at about 30 bucks a manual is a great place to start).

If this is an electric start model, you must first remove the starter to get at the linkage. The shift-shaft itself is sandwiched between the ears of the cam on the assembly. The little clip in the pic is unhooked by prying (upwards) on the end closest to the front of the motor and then pulling is straight back towards you - completely removing it. It can be done with a pair of needle nosed pliers quite easily.

That will release the shift shaft (rod) from the linkage. Once the rod is clear it's a good idea to put that clip back in place to keep the rest of the assembly from coming apart - it can be a little challenging to get it all back together in that tight space if the linkage rod that goes over to the cable side of things slips to the other side of the powerhead.

With the shift shaft unhooked there is just a couple of bolts holding the lower unit on - nothing hidden. There is a stud that mates the front end of the upper and lower case together which can get a little frozen in place over time, but some gentle prying usually encourages it to let go..

Attachments

• Shift_shaft1.jpg
    Shift_shaft1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Shift_shaft2.jpg
    Shift_shaft2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 481
Thanks to you all for your quick response i will order amanual as they are very handy to have. I will be having a go at replacing the impeller on the weekend. Thanks again...

Back