Logo

optimax 150 hp year 2007 overheating problem

anglers

Hi Guys!!!
I desperatly need some help. I own a Trophy 2102 wa and the outboard is giving me the overheating alarm when I cruise around 2000 rpm. I changed the impeller twice in 4 months and now I have the same problem.
Any idea what may cause this problem??

Re: optimax 150 year 2007 overheating problem

did changing out the impellers work? If so were the impellers ends burned or melted? was there sand in the waterpump or waterpump tube? have you tried running at a higher rpm and seeing if the motor cools down? if so does it only overheat at aroung 2000 rpms? how long have you had the boat/motor? is this something that started happening after a year/ six months? or has it always happened?

Changed the impeller twice in 4 months,I only seem to get around 30 hrs of running then the problem starts again. The problem is only at 2000 rpm. If I am at idle speed or at more than 3000 rpm I dont get the alarm. I had the outboard from new and its two years old now. The problem started around 4 months after the first use. The boat is out of the water now and I will try to tackle the problem bit by bit...
Thanks

Do you change just the impeller or the entire "pump" when you change it?
Maybe somehow the pump housing is wearing the impeller.
How contanimated with debris/sediment is the water you boat in?

Hi guys and thanks for your time.
The merc dealer only changed the impeller and we used approved parts. I only got like 30 hrs of work and the problem resurfaced again. Now I am thinking of doing the job myself by replacing the entire water pump and thermostats..
What do you think??

Impellers last longer than that ( unless started / run dry ) .------------------------Look for other problems, like sending units that may be faulty / blown head gaskets / or blockage in water intake / poppit valve ( if equipped )

I would do the poppet valve - it usually starts doing it's job around the 1800 rpm mark (takes over control of the cooling system from the thermostat(s)). If it's spring is getting shot or corroded up it may be staying closed "too long".

Poppet and thermostats should be replaced every second or third year (ya, tech's and many other's may say they last longer - but for the minimal cost compared to a couple welded pistons from an overheat it's well worth the 100 or so bucks on a 12,000 dollar engine)...

Back