Logo

115 merc starting

russchadwick

i have a 1995 merc ouyboard that can b tuff to start every so often.what i need to know is ,do the carbs on this motor have acc pumps in order to prime it.electric choke etc.

It has an enriching circuit ( choke so to speak )-----------------------You need to push the key in to activate it while cranking it over.------------Look for small hoses coming from a small solenoid.--------Check and see if it " clicks " when key is pushed in ( ignition on )

thanks racerone for the reply.what i need 2 know is,if i put the throttle into fast idle position, and pump the lever does it squirt fuel into the top 2 carbs.sort of like aprimer bulb.it always seems to be just a fue l issue.:cool:i would have got back 2 you sooner but didn't realize i had 2 answer though the forum.i sent a reply through the e-mail address.thanx again . russ.

I often see people pumping the control handle on their outboards.-------------I do not know whether to feel sorry for them or to laugh at them.------------------Most motors do not have accelerator pumps ( like grandpa's chevy did )------------------If your starting system is in " good shape " you will never have to pump the throttle.------------------Some of the mercury---- " 2+2 "--- 4 cylinder motors did have an accelerator pump , but is is not intended for " starting "-------------------If you do not know how to check your starting / enricher system , have a dealer check it for you.------------I see many people cranking and cranking their motors , mostly due to ignorance of how to start a motor.-----------------Starter motors burn up easily, while they still crank , they do not turn a motor over fast enuff for ignition / magneto to work.--------------Todays outboards generally start with 3/4 seconds of cranking if everything is " right " with the motor.

Last edited:
thanx again for the reply.i here what you are saying about ignorance on starting them.i am going to c heck the soleniod @enrichner when spring comes around and do what you said.if i dont get where i want, i will get a dealer and have him check it for me.this is my first boat in about 10 yrs so its a little new 2 me again. cheers! russ

Back