Logo

water line freeze up

steelieman

I use my 2010 Yamaha 115 four stroke for winter fishing and keep it stored in an unheated storage unit. Even though I do my best to let water drain after use I have trouble getting water to come out the return vent when I start the motor after putting it in the water. It's not uncommon to fish when the temp is at or below freezing.

My question: is there any way to ensure the water is completely out of the motor after use so it doesn't freeze up?

:confused:

Well there is one thing to do.---------------When you put the boat in the water you need to wait 10 to 15 minutes before starting it up.--------------------This allows the water to melt any ice that might be in the water pump.------------Then run the motor untill it is warm ( tell tale working ) before leaving the dock.-----------After taking the boat out of the water you give the starter a bump to drain the water pump.-----------

If you crank the engine for 2-3 seconds after done running there should be no water in the pump, allow engine to stand level until all water drips out before doing so. you can also use compressed air to blow back thru the overboard indicator to purge out any remaining water.

Back