Logo

2005 200 hp VMax Yamaha Outboard

HELP

Please help.

I have a 200hp VMax outboard that cuts out at top speed. Runs very well once you have primed it and then after a short while at top speed it starts to splutter as if it is starved from petrol.

They have cleaned the carburetters and I have replaced the primer bulb, with the latter making a limited difference.

Any advice, as I do not want to be taken for a ride by the mechanics...

Rgds.

Sounds like you need to look at fuel supply.------------------Hoses / pick-up screen in tank / air leaks / vent screen on tank overflow.------------If it keeps running with someone operating the " bulb " as a manual fuel pump then you need to look at the fuel pump.

Thank you - will try pumping the bulb to check - on the water a little later - Tried checking all the fuel supply pipes and looks ok..

Does it suck the primer bulb flat or does it just run out of fuel? Like justintime says a fuel pump diaphragm could be leaking. Some times you can find this by squeezing the bulb with the engine idling, the engine will load up with fuel being forced thru the diaphragm and into the crankcase. Otherwise pull off the pumps and see if there is fuel on the crankcase side of the diaphram.

Back