Logo

2000, 25 hp, 2 cycle, mercury fuel prblem....HELP!!!!

captenc

hello all! I recently acquired a 2000, 25 hp, 2 stroke mercury outboard... the motor had been sitting around for a while so i cleaned the carb. After reinstalling the carb i finally got the motor started. After a few adjustment to the carb it ran great. I shut the motor down and put it on the back of my skiff. A few hours later i went to start it. after several tries it finally started, once it warmed up the motor once again ran great, took it for a spin around the creek. The next day i decided to take off the carb and take it to my local merc dealer to have it professionally cleaned. and a rebuild kit installed. After the cleaning and rebuild I then put the carb back on and tried to start the motor, i would not run, i tried squirting a small amout of starting fluid in the carb, finally the engine started. after it warmed for a few minuets i once again took it for a spin around the creek it ran good until i slacked off the throttle, the engine just died like it ran out of fuel, the engine would not restart, i finally decided to give it another small shot of starting fluid, it ran for a few seconds then died again, gave it another shot of fluid then when the engine started i quickly shifted into gear and gave it throttle, it got me back to the dock. i then removed the carb tore it down to see if the carb had not been put back together properly at the merc dealer, everything seemed to look good, the carb is very clean and nothing out of place. once again i tried to start the motor it will start with starting fluid, and the after a few seconds it will die. I am at my witts end with this thing, and help or advice will be greatly appreciated, for i am about to take a sledge hammer to the engine!!!!!

First of all stop using starting fluid. There is no lube in it. Use premix in a spray bottle. Anytime an outboard sits around for a long time without being used certain things should be done as rubber can deteriorate with age. You already took care of one (the carb). You also need to rebuild the fuel pump which I think is you problem. Also replace any rubber fuel lines and replace the impeller. While replacing the impeller change the oil in the lower unit and check for water intrusion. Those 25s are good motors when taken care of.

It sounds to me like the idle adjustment screw is simply set way too lean. Open it up a full turn and try again.

Jeff

Back