Logo

1988 15 hp lower unit reinstall problems

flyguide7

I recently took off the lower unit of my 88 15 hp outboard to change water pump impeller. the rubber cover of the pump cover came off causing a dramatic reduction in water getting to the power head. I put it back together and started reinstalling however the shift rod is offset about 15 degress. so it will not fit back on the shift cam. I bought an online manual which was a complete waste of money since it does not address the problem.
I can push the rod all the way down then it will be in line with the shift cam but then when connected it will not shift. so I took it off again and found it will only shift when in the offset position. Does anyone have any insight into this problem? thanks in advance.

can you not spin the shift rod around 1/3-1/4 a turn then line it all up ?Also, try spinning the flywheel slowly by hand - it sounds to me, like you havent lined the splined of the drive shaft up with the power head - hence it's not all ' slipping ' back together..Just hold the gearbox up, then slowly either hand turn the prop - or the flywheel.. and it will mate up, then you'll feel it all just slip together..What's this issue you're having with the impellor - have you never changed it before ? or was it all done in a shop ?

Thanks Euc, I looked up the exploded view parts drawing and noticed that the shift rod was threaded so I used a vice grip plier and gave her about an witty of a turn and viola! Fit like a glove. Thanks for your response.

Glad to hear it worked, cant claim credit for the repair - but it's stumped me on my racing Mariner marathon 10 many a time.. then I remember 'mate the spline' :)

Back