Logo

Need help identifying a 40hp Mercury.

alexsails

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 40hp Mercury and would like to get the proper repair manual to fix it.

The model number decal on the transom bracket is gone and all I have are numbers and letters from the carburetor and engine block.

The carburetor is stamped on the left looking forward with:
WME Q
3301 xk
824854 C

What seems to be the intake manifold between the carb and the block is stamped with:
321371 C

And the block itself is stamped with: (On the rear next to the cylinders cover)
821358 C1

It has two cylinders and one carburetor with pull start and tiller.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Alex

Ive been having issues trying to upload the photos because their size is to big for the attachment feature here.

I have located the welsh plug on the block and have a number from it, but none of the online lists found show anything close to this.
Perhaps someone here can help.

The number is:
The styling is not boxy at all as I have seen on the early 90's motors with the split cowling. Its very much rounded all over with blue decals.

Does anyone know during what years was the 40hp manufactured?
Thanks again,
Alex

any where from early 70's to the early 90's-------There are a couple of years where they used a totally different block, reeds just behind the carburetors instead of on the crank. -----------It was a short lived design.

I think the man has one of the " newer " models with a single piece plastic cowling ------from the early / mid 90's

Here we go guys... I finaly found a way to upload some photos of the motor. PC221028[1].JPGPC221025[1].JPGPC221029[1].JPG
pencil.png

Looks like that later motor with the reeds right behind the carburetor.-----------------A short lived design.-------------------Dealer gave me one just like that( hole in the block ) and deemed not worth fixing.

Back