Logo

how to change oil on a yamaha 9.9 hp 2003 outboard motor.

jferna6167

hello there guys, i am new to having a boat so please help me out on how to change the oil on a yamaha 9.9 hp 2003 outboard motor 4 stroke, i got the boat as a gift from my cousin and i just registered it under my name so now i want to start working on the motor. people told that before starting the motor since its been sitting for about 3 years in the back yard i needed to change the oil first and oil filter. any suggestions or advise i will appreciated so much. thanks..

what type of oil?

yes there is a drain plug on the motors back (the prop side)
also do fuel filters
thermostats
water-pump
lower unit-fluid
spark plugs

thanks for your advice and sorry for not replying sooner, too much work. i just change the motor oil and gear oil. i have not change the rest. i tried to started and wont start at all any advice. i just bought the manual and i will start reading for the rest of the list that you advice to do. thanks.

If carburetors sit with fuel in them they tend to plug the tiny jets and passage ways.-----------Easy to take apart and clean them out. -----------Always run fuel out of the carburetor if it is going to sit for a while.

i have clean and re-build the carb and change the spark plugs and still nothing. i cant get it to turn on. when i crank it the propeller moves very little every time i pull it moves 1/2 inch or less with every pull. i have seen never models with an on/off switch on the shaft or next to the shaft but on this one there is nothing, so i dont know if i am on start or choke mode. there is only a red (pull) switch in front of motor and i dont know what it is for. any ideas whats the switch for and what could be the problem with this issue? and thanks for all the replies, sorry i take long to respond but i dont have much time. thanks alot.

thanks a lot guys it finally turn on!!!! but there are still 2 problems now, the red switch that i mentioned it needs to be pull and remain pull in order to stay on, if i released the switch the motor dies. i tested it at home with a medium trash can full of water and like i said it turns on (neutral) and once i tried to put it on shift the motor dies as well, im thinking that the trash can its too small, (too much water pressure, i think) or (needs more space to get more oxygen) and or the switch its bad (broken) i will tested it today monday on the lake to see if it stays on once its on forward. i left it running for a good 20-25 minutes and it stay on the whole time, i used some pressure pliers to maintain the switch popped out. thanks a lot guys for your help and time!!!! any other ideas of what could be causing this problem???​

Your dealer will have the handy gadget for holding the safety switch.-----------Ask for a lanyard clip for the safety switch.----Some times there is a spare clip thingy on the throttle handle somewhere.

Last edited:
hello guys and thanks for all of your help, boat is up and finally up and running!, the red switch was the start/kill switch for the motor. i found the yoke that holds out the swtich and that solve the problem. i was having problems when i was putting it into forward, the motor was shutting down, i adjusted the carburator's screw so it would pump more gasoline into the carb and that resolve the problem. i test the boat out on wednesday for a good 30 minutes on the lake with no problemas at all. very excited to test it out again next weekend on my days off. thanks guys for all your help and support.

Back