Logo

Metal Shavings on Engine - Where are they Coming From?

HoppySailor

I have a Yanmar 2GMF and have a lot of fine copper colored metal shavings on the engine. Where could these things be coming from? I have removed the transmission, damper disc, and flywheel. The ring gear and starter pinion gear both have wear that could be causing the very fine shavings but I'm not sure that these gears are made of the right colored metal. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean swarf type shavings or Filings? Are they magnetic? Starter moter and Alternator internals the most likerly source of copper filings.

Thanks for the reply. I had to look up "swarf" in order to answer your question. The metal shavings are very fine, almost dust like. They are primarily on the aft half of the engine including inside the bell housing and are slightly magnetic. I always assumed they were coming from inside the bell housing but that might not be the case. I guess they could have just as easily been going into the bell housing as coming out. It appears that they go airborne and have landed over much of the engine. Do you still think starter or alternator?

I had a look at the area around the starter and alternator and it seemed to be the area with the most metal flakes. I didn't have time to investigate further but I think I'm in the right place now. I'll post back when I get a definitive answer. Thanks Shakey for getting me looking in the right area.

Back