Logo

Replacing Upper Mounts on 50 HP Mariner

ddub

Just purchased an older 50 HP Mariner. Serial # is 07201288, if anyone can tell me the year of manufacture I would appreciate it.
Had the motor tested and the power head seems in good shape, compression for all 4 cylinders in the 125 - 135 range.
The upper rubber mounts need replacing. I have the parts but would like information on how to approach this prior to proceeding. Have taken a look and don't see any very obvious way to get to the upper mounts.
Here's some questions:
Can I replace these mounts with the motor on the boat?
Do I need to remove the power head to access these mounts? If so, are there any online sources for information on removing the power head from this motor?
Any general information/advice on this proceedure would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this forum and don't see any specific details on replacing upper mounts.

ddub;

Here is the parts listing for your engine s/n:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/275.cfm

I am still trying to find the year and if I do will come back to you.

Let me know if the parts are OK for you.

As well, can you see any model numbers on the engine, ie; beginning with 705 or similar and on the plate where you got the s/n, do you see any two digit numbers which would reference a year. If it has a model number though, I can find the year.

Gerry

Last edited:
Thanks Gerry and boat_tech, the parts list matches one I have been using from another source and the engine year is in the range I expected. Ordered a repair manual yesterday, hoping to find information on replacing the upper mounts. Suggestions from a mechanic indicate that I will need to remove the powerhead and gearcase in order to get to the mounts, and that I can do this work with the motor on the boat. My mechanical background is with autos, this is my first attempt to repair an outboard so I am taking my time to get my head around how to proceed.
I have the new mounts, and am beginning to try and see what I need to do to remove the powerhead, taking lots of pictures so I have something besides the manual when I come to put it back together.
If anyone has specific experience or advice on replacing these mounts, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

How hard will it be? Depending whether it was salt or freshwater use,either way it's a SOB of a job to loosen the bolts that hold the mounts in place without wringing the heads.Plenty of WD40 or some other penetrating oil,heat helps.
To remove the mounts you need to take the midsection of as well, that means loosening the lower mounts as well,there is not enough room to extract the top mounts otherwise,if there is another way I didn't find it:D.

Back