Logo

Clymer or Seloc, which is the better manual?

These after market manuals sometimes have mistakes.If you have experience you will know these mistakes , if not bad things can happen.-----------------You are best off with a factory manual.----

For "standard" routine maintenance any manual is better then nothing. Nothing beats an OEM however, the seloc will work for 95% of things needed.

You need to ask yourself this question What level do you need??

Seloc sold here on Marineengines are a good deal ;) Much cheaper then any marine shop hourly fee. Do not be scared off from the after-market manuals

We don't sell the factory manual for that Mariner motor. You could order one from a Mercury dealer.

We do sell a lot of the Seloc manuals and most customers are very happy with them. They write the manuals by doing the engine teardown and using the the factory manuals as reference. We sell the manual here 1984 Mariner 200hpand you should also be able to see the table of contents and some sample pages.

The parts listing for that model should be here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I find the Seloc a very comprehensive manual,and it takes you step by step which,I'm led to believe,the Mercury factory doesn't as it assumes that you know what you are a outboard tech. Seloc is for the likes of me who are feeling their way through a machine which we have never laid eyes on before but are nuts enough to chance our arm at:D

I have found the Seloc has a lot of missing information, although the publisher of the manual has been helpful to find what I need. Well, he has provided what he has, or knows. The original writer of the manuals I have, is dead and he wrote the manuals as if someone was going to read them cover to cover, as a book, and not just go to a specific section and find what they need. Makes it hard to understand, when the manual is talking about something that was covered 3 chapters before that one.

Back