Logo

cracked Carburator

hickeya

I just installed new Marine power 315hp engines. When winterizing this year, the mechanic informed me that my carburator was cracked and leaking fuel.

how can this happen? I had boats for years - my last engine was 20 years old.. no cracking...

could this be installation issues?

I was also informed that this was not covered under warranty.

thanks

I'd suspect physical abuse. Installation is a very common time for bolt ons to get abused and mistreated. Could also be 'shipping damage' but you are a bit late for that now. Depending where the crack is located may help ID the cause(s). Engine covers being closed with something left on the carb will do it, too.

If you've had the boat away from his facility (since installation) more than a day, you are likely to be at the "your word vs his word" very quickly. (How can you hold him responsible for something he can't control?) You could suggest a cost share for the replacement, in the interest of customer goodwill.

Worst case, get the number off of it and find a new one. Careful shopping should find one well below retail. Just make sure it is a marine carb.

Back