Logo

HOLLEY CARBURATED ENGINE IS RUNING TO RICH

R

ROD BALOGH

I OWN A 350 C.I. MARINE POWER

I OWN A 350 C.I. MARINE POWER INBOARD WITH A HOLLEY 4160 4 BARREL CARB. IT IS RUNING WAY TO RICH THROUGH OUT THE WHOLE RANGE EXCEPT AT WIDE OPEN THROTEL. I HAVE ALREADY CHANGED THE MAIN JETS FROM 66 TO 64 AND NOW I NOTICE THAT IT SMELLS AND SMOKES MORE THAN BEFORE BUT MY TRANSOME IS NOT AS BLACK AS IT USED TO BE. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT.

"I'd check the simple stuf

"I'd check the simple stuff first. Is the choke releasing and staying released? Is the flame arrester clean and flowing air? Did the engine run okay before, with the bigger jets? Did it suddenly or gradually start smoking? Is the throttle linkage working properly? Are the plugs, igniton system and timing all okay?

Just some things to check before you dig into the carb.

"

EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT OKAY.

EVERYTHING CHECKED OUT OKAY. WHAT DO I DO NEXT

"I forgot to mention proper f

"I forgot to mention proper fuel pressure (usually 5 - 8 PSI), but if everything outside the carb checks out okay, then it's time to dig into the carb itself. Start with making sure the fuel bowl floats are set to spec and low speed mixture screws are set at the initial number of turns.

If it's still rich, I'd say a rebuild is called for. Your problem may be leaking float valves, sunk float(s), leaking accelerator pump, leaking gaskets, etc. Get a rebuild kit and your Holley manual and think clean!

"

" Dear Rod,
I have a 351 for

" Dear Rod,
I have a 351 ford in my 86 ski supreme. It has a holley 600, and I just the same type of problem. With the #'s off the carburetor go and get a new power valve for the carburetor and install it. It is only $7. "

Back