Logo

New battery charger advice needed

madmallard

I have a twin engine (AQ131A Volvo's) in a 1986 Campion Haida 250 cruiser with a bank of 3 batteries - two starting, one deep cycle house. I am in the process of upgrading my old Sears one output charger to a 3 output charger. I have tried to process the info out there but I am sort of stuck - too many types and brands to choose from. So I thought I would put this out there for discussion - what is the concensus of opinion on what is the "best" shore power battery charger available -in terms of operational ease, engine room installation ease, safety, reliability, economics, etc. I am kind of tossing between a Promariner and a Xantrex. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The new ones are fairly equal for operation and installation. I'd suggest you define 'your' needs a bit further. Current battery types and intent to maintain them? (Gel cells require a different charging stategy than a flooded cell.) Have you determined your Amp-hour needs? You need this to define 'good enough' for the charger. That should help to narrow the choices somewhat. If you can ID a budget figure, that would help too.

Also, this topic has been discussed on several of the boards here...try that search function and see what shows up.

Back