Logo

3.5 Merc transport and storage?

Fatdunc

Does somebody know for sure what is the proper position to transport or store, on it's side the 2010 3.5 hp Merc. I've been told by dealers that the manuals both written and on-line are wrong, and that the motor should store with the tiller handle down. The dealers have removed the storage info decal from the factory and placed it on the opposite side. I followed their instructions and all my oil is gone. After further inquiries they suggested that I "bring it in for a $95/hr looksee. This motor was bought new 2 months ago. Also, does anyone know if this motor is of Japanese origin. The Merc plastic gear pump oil charging device they told me I couldn't live without and were good enough to sell me won't thread up to this motor.
S# 0R368699 M# 1-F03201H K

Well if mercury marine did say to store the engine in another position it would normally be in their policy to create a service bulletin stating the new change in writing, Then they would eventually revise all of their Service Product Line Literature when the time comes.

I have looked through all of the service bulletins pertaining to your engine serial number, And I can not find any new Service Literature contradicting both the owners manual and the service manual to your engine saying for you to store the engine with the tiller handle in the down position.

Both manuals say to store the engine with the handle in the up position if your laying the engine down, But they do prefer you to keep the engine in the upright position when possible.

If they continue to insist they are right, Then have them show you it in writing, But unfortunately you have already proven them wrong the hard way it sounds like by losing your engine oil.

Be happy you caught the oil gone, You could have damaged the engine.

Below is the part number to your engine service manual from mercury marine, I would recommend trying to order one somewhere, Hopefully you could order one through this website (marineengine.com) to help sponsor this web forum we are on. It sounds like your going to be needing both this forum and the service manual if you want it done right.;):)

90-899925001 - 2/2.5/3.5 FOURSTROKE

Hope this helps, Good luck with it.:)

Thanks for your input. I will continue to watch the oil sightglass very closely prior and during use in case it's something else. I'll store as per the manual. I could not get any response from the Mercury Marine site on this question. fatdunc

Back